Thursday, September 30, 2010

Highway Fashions with Mandy the Mannequin: Sorry, Mandy Who? Edition.

Oh Mandy, I have neglected to post about you for months. You're probably upset with me, and rightfully so, but I was just so busy getting corn rows and henna tattoos that the summer just seemed to evaporate. I never forgot to photograph you while you were out on the catwalk though. You're always an inspiration to me and my thousands of blog readers. (I have been getting constant emails wondering if you were okay. Last night, my pager went off 6 times with urgent messages from your fans). Let's take a look at a few of Mandy's thought provoking summer ensembles as well as her most recent look for fall 2010 (start montage music now):

Canada Day 2010
Yay our banking system is the best in the world and we're all still poor. Let's celebrate with some stuff made in China from the Dollar Store! Mandy is always pushing our comfort levels and that's why she's a fashion icon.


Mandy's Yard Sale 2010
I was SO excited when I drove past Mandy's house and saw huge neon yard sale signs: BIG SALE SATURDAY! I envisioned vintage cars for $50, piles of antiques and various other gems but to my horror... there was nothing but crap. WAY overpriced crap. Clearly this was stuff Mandy had tried to sell at 6 previous yard sales, unsuccessfully, which were then thrown back in a barn and kept for the next one. I must admit, I didn't think Mandy was capable of this sort of hoarding as I thought her taste was impeccable. As I lifted a broken, water logged clock with a $20 price tag on it I looked over at her in disgust. At that point I quickly realized she had been drinking (it was 6:45am).


In fact, she was tanked! I walked over and asked her if she had any mid century items or perhaps some old wooden crates or tin signs for sale and she just mumbled and spat, saying something about mass consumerism and how we're all sheep and that the world will soon blow up in a huge ball of (toxic) flames.


I didn't want to argue with her, as she was looking really pale and depressed. I tried to look into her eyes but they were vacant. So I told her I liked her outfit and left.


Mandy's Fall Ensemble 2010
Since the yard sale fiasco, I have been a bit sad every time I drove past Mandy's house. I worried I'd drive by one day to find one of her limbs had fallen off or her nose had swelled and turned bright red and lumpy. But no. She has managed to pull herself together (with the help of a weird cult in town) and she's looking better than ever.



She looks so refined and respectable, although fall clothes have a tendency to do that to people. I know when I dress in fall clothes I look like I'm about 750% smarter than I do in any other season.



Dark hair also makes you look smart (and less like an alcoholic). Throw in a sun hat with a ribbon and a cardigan and you'll get instant respect. Mandy is a genius of disguise.


No comments: